Quantifying Milfoil Weevil Density, Distribution and Temporal Variation
- Milfoil is a nuisance, non-native aquatic plant that impedes recreation and alters the biology, chemistry & physics of lakes.
- Traditional control techniques are costly, have negative side effects, or are a short-term solution. Therefore, biocontrol is an attractive alternative.
- The milfoil weevil is native and all life stages selectively feed on milfoil…however, biocontrol is not always successful.
- In order to predict biocontrol success, we must be able to quantify milfoil weevil density, distribution and variation.
- What is the best way to quantify milfoil weevil density and distribution?
- How do milfoil and weevils vary temporally?
- What are the relationships among milfoil beds, lake characteristics and weevil density?
Whole-lake intensive lake surveys – Summer 2007 & 2008
MSU, EnviroScience Inc.
Biologist, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality